Monday, October 21, 2013

Summer 2013



Summer is upon us and that means recreation -- re-creation and for many, time away. I look forward to our United Methodist Annual Conference held in Sacramento. Other Joyful Healers who will be going to conference with me are April Sousa, Hillarie Beyer, and Jason and Bethany Cseh. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we represent Joyful Healer at this meeting of United Methodists from all over northern California and Nevada.

I want to remind all of us that summer time is often a time that churches fall behind in their financial obligations. Last year that did not happen because whether you were in town or out of town you kept your commitment to Joyful Healer! With that and a great fund raiser (the fireworks booth), we got through the summer in pretty good shape last year. It is up to each of us. Remember what I said a couple of weeks ago -- you are not customers here. You are co-owners. So let’s help things run strong whether we are in town or away on vacation. And by the way, we are doing the firework booth again this summer and will need your help.

I found this little piece written by a young woman named Kim Harvey.  I share it with you:

Why I Give
It’s as simple as this -- I feel very blessed and believe that God is the source of my blessings. God has been a companion who has held my hand during troubled times and elevated me during times of joy. I am humbled by his gifts and will never be able to repay what I have gotten (and continue to receive) from God and my church family. At church I find a sense of community, spiritual health and growth, support and inner peace. The fabulous news is that God doesn’t ask or expect repayment. God gives his grace freely. I believe my contributions are a way to pay grace forward. I want others to experience what I have and if the church can thrive and grow, it creates a space where others may find their own sense of grace. I believe supporting outreach, community and spiritual health through my church is one of many ways I can Praise God from Whom all Blessings flow .

Summer Blessings to you all! Shalom,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment